D1 drops fighting weekend against Purdue

By Morgan Haga 

9/25/2021 The DI Huskies played aggressively this weekend. However, they lost both games against Purdue Northwestern. Friday’s game went into overtime and then a shootout, with the Huskies falling 2-3. Saturday, the Huskies struggled to find the net. They fell 1-6. 

Friday, both teams were fighting to find the back of the net for the first period. Huskies Mason Ihrke scored during the second period at 11:02 which was the first goal of the night. Minutes later Purdue answered back to tie the game 1-1. The Huskies ended the second period with a score of 2-1 when Robert Apter scored the Huskies’ second goal. For the third period, the Huskies were putting on a fight with many penalties from both teams. Purdue was able to find the back of the net at 4:42 in the third period which tied the game again and pushed the teams into overtime. The Huskies played a five-minute overtime three on three. After overtime, the score has still tied, the teams went into a shootout. Rodahn Evans, Hunter Wahl, and Apter were called to take a one-on-one shot at the goalie. Of those 3, 1 shot made it to the back of the net which caused the Huskies to fall 2-3. 

Saturday, the Huskies were unable to get the puck past the goaltender net until the middle of the second period. Luke Marks scored his first goal as a Huskie to bring the score to 1-2. Marks stated, “It felt great to get my first goal. It may have not been the way I wanted it, but I’m glad to get it off my back.” The Huskies lost their second game to Purdue 1-6. 

Marks also stated, “Our weekend was a learning experience that we will take with us through the rest of the season.”

Friday’s goaltender Benjamin Vutci saved 28 of 31 shots on goal. Saturday goaltender Grant Goodson saved 32 of 38 shots on goal. 

The DI Huskies travel to Western Michigan University this weekend October 1st and 2nd playing at the Wings West Ice Arena. Friday’s puck drop is at 9:25 pm and Saturday’s is 5:00 pm.